Tuesday 20 December 2011

All I want for Christmas...is YOU!

So I was enjoying a bit of festive fun with Mariah Carey on YouTube the other day (again! I need to re-visit my musical tastes…) when I started to think about what a little fluff ball like me might want for Christmas.  I wonder if Santa will even make it to my dusty computer?  If he does, I’d be stoked if he left me an iPad, or a mini video camera, or a new smartphone, or an interactive whiteboard to play with. Or at least maybe a few software upgrades?
But then I got to thinking about what I’ve done this year without much of this new stuff at all - in fact mostly with just a normal computer, free software, websites and a quite leisurely internet connection!  I’ve tweeted over 220 times, followed almost 100 people and been followed by nearly 80 (fluff only knows why!), uploaded 10 videos to Vimeo, blogged 14 times and started a Facebook page. Once I started sharing ideas, I learned how to record my screen, make videos, share videos, connect with new people online and made heaps of mistakes along the way!
So what now? I want to get better at it. I want to see what happens more in classrooms, and why technology does or doesn’t fit in different situations. I want to keep things simple, but not lose sight of the important details. I want to listen more carefully to advice and ideas and think about the best ways to share them. If Santa brings me new gadgets that would be fun, but I don’t think they’re as important as making connections with people and ideas. As my friend the Dalai Lama says,
"we need awareness of the ways we are connected with others, reflecting on the characteristics we share with others”
Clever chap, that one. Cheeky smile too :-)
Thanks for reading (and writing and listening and clicking and downloading…), and here’s to discovering together - whatever the next year brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment